Earth Day holds a special significance for me. Perhaps it is because I have a child whose birthday happens to fall on Earth Day. Or, maybe it’s because when I was in grade school, we used to have to hold hands and sing silly songs about how great the Earth is. Maybe it’s because it’s a day that acknowledges the power of the place we call home. Really, I’m sure it’s a combination of all of that and more.
I find daily inspiration in nature to create, and that alone merits my tribute on this day. So, here are some photographs I’ve taken of my surrounding landscape, along with quotes that speak to me about the power of nature:
1) “Our is not the task of fixing the entire world at once, but of stretching out to mend the part of the world that is within our reach.” – Dr. Clarissa Pinkola Estes.
2) “Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
3) “Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together . . . all things connect.” – Chief Seattle
4) “Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better.” – Albert Einstein
5) “Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.” – Khalil Gibran
6) “Hills are always more beautiful than stone buildings.” – Walking Buffalo
There is a magic about my surrounding landscapes that speaks to me on a level beyond words. The quotes I selected for each of my photographs carry meaning and inspiration on their own, and as I weave the words with the imagery, I hope you caught a glimpse of their combined power.
Happy Earth Day!